The All-New Kia Optima K5 is Here, and It’s Lookin Funky
After almost a decade, Kia has finally, properly, updated the all-new Optima K5 sedan, and it is surely looking mighty stylish.
Underpinned by a new N3 platform, the Kia Optima now comes with a whole lot of new stuff revolving around the design, convenience, performance, and safety.
On the exterior, taking centre stage is the brand’s “Tiger face” front fascia which comprises a wide and thin Shark skin-inspired front grille, followed by “Heart Beat” DRLs, a low-slung fastback-ish silhouette, dual chrome exhaust tip garnish, Gloss black applique, as well as up to 19-inch wheels.
Inside, there is a newly designed infotainment display that seamlessly stretches into the instrument panel, creating a futuristic, three-dimensional layout and driver-centric space.
Other interior highlights include an aircraft-type shift knob, a mix of upholstery options including red leatherette seating, satin chrome metallic and wood-like finishes on the dashboard and door panels, a Panoramic sunroof, and a flat-bottom, sport steering wheel (GT-Line, GT).
Sitting longer, lower and wider than the current model, the new Optima even promises a more exciting driving experience.
Additional highlights include improved suspension geometry, a more rigid body, and improved sound insulation.
Under the hood, there will be two engine options:
- 2.5-litre turbo GDI + MPI four-cylinder engine making 290 hp and 422 Nm of torque, paired with the new 8-speed “wet” Dual Clutch Transmission (GT) goes 0-100 km/h in 5.8 seconds
- 1.6-litre turbo GDI four-cylinder engine producing 180 hp and 264 Nm of torque, an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission. There is also all-wheel drive (AWD) now, but only for the 1.6 variant.
The list of standard equipment:
- 8- or 10.25-inch high-resolution touchscreen
- Multi-connection Bluetooth wireless connectivity
- Bose Premium sound system with 12 high-performance speakers
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Voice recognition
- Rear Occupant Alert
- “Sound of Nature” ambient system
These are of course, on top of the mile-long list of safety and driver assistance features that are part of Kia’s Drive Wise Suite”.