8 reasons why a Plantation Manager will love this new Hilux
- It’s tough. Really tough. Driving around the plantation will be no issue for the plantation manager to do his inspection even when there is a fallen tree, a deep hole or even a slippery trail.
- The cabin has 7-airbags just like the plantation manager’s company issued Toyota Camry.
- The drivers seat is leather bound, fully electric and torso hugging just like with his Camry.
- The entertainment system is a 6.1-inch touchscreen with a DVD player, USB/AUX/Bluetooth compatibility as well as reverse camera and there are six speakers to deliver a Camry cabin like entertainment.
- Always good to know you are driving a Hilux when you are dealing with Klang Valley’s many potholes, broken tarmac and patchy road surfaces. This is when the plantation manager needs to come to the city for a business meeting and decides to leave his Camry at the plantation bungalow.
- It still remains a best-seller and so parts and servicing will be no issue just like with his Camry.
- It will be surprisingly fuel efficient with the new 6-speed gearbox. The 2,755cc engine (2.8 D-4D unit) develops 177bhp at 3,400 rpm, and maximum torque of 450Nm between 1,600 and 2,400 rpm. The fuel efficiency has improved by 9% over the diesel engine it replaces.
- With a 217mm ground clearance, the Hilux offers a commanding driving position, offering the plantation manager plenty of forward vision when on the road and also when doing some river and small gorge crossings.
This Hilux is every inch a modern-looking pick-up, from the impressively rugged front grille and bonnet bulge to the solid tailgate. Time for a test drive.
Toyota Hilux 2.8G (AT) Specifications
Engine: 4-cylinder DOHC intercooler VNT diesel
Capacity: 2,755 cc
Power: 177 PS @ 3,400 rpm
Torque: 450 Nm @ 1,600 – 2,400 rpm