Mercedes-Benz Malaysia today announced the arrival of the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class which is now officially open for booking.
Assembled locally at Mercedes-Benz plant in Pekan, Pahang, the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class will be offered only in one variant, which is the S580e plug-in hybrid version that is priced at an estimated RM720,000 (to be confirmed).
Powering the new S580e is a 3.0 litre inline-6 engine that makes 367 hp and 500 Nm of torque, and also an electric motor that produces 147 hp and 440 Nm of torque. Sending all the power to the wheels is the 9G-Tronic automatic gearbox.
As far as the performance is concerned, the S580e is capable accelerating from naught to 100 km/h in 5.2 seconds. Meanwhile, the S580e offers an estimated 100km pure electric driving range courtesy of its hybrid electric motor.
Measuring 5,179 mm in length, 1,921 mm in width, and 1,503 mm in height, the new S-Class is 54 mm longer, 22 mm wider, and 10 mm taller than before, making it slightly larger and more spacious than the outgoing model.
Featuring a fresh design that looks somewhat sharper and sleeker than the outgoing model, highlights on the new S580e’s exterior include the Digital Light system, which has a light module with three extremely powerful LEDs with light that is refracted and directed by 1.3 million micro-mirrors. The resolution is therefore more than 2.6 million pixels per vehicle.
Besides the funky lights, we have the flush door handles, 19-inch tyres, and a newly designed wheel design. Inside, the second generation of this learn-capable system now débuts in the new S-Class.
The vehicle interior is even more digital and intelligent, with five large screens, in part with OLED technology, making the control of vehicle and comfort functions even easier.
The system now features fingerprint scanner just below the central display. When you touch the colour-illuminated button, the system unlocks access. This is secure and additionally more straightforward than entering a PIN.
Also available is the MBUX Augmented Reality Navigation which connects the virtual world with the real world. The technology incorporates graphical navigation instructions and traffic information into live images to ensure drivers will reach safely and stress-free.
The voice assistant “Hey Mercedes” feature on the other hand, can now be controlled from the rear seats.
Also featured in the new S-class is the Burmester 3D surround sound system.
According to Mercedes-Benz, more than 98 kg of components made from resource-conserving materials are used in the new S-Class. The number of components containing recycled material is now 120 – more than twice as many as in the preceding model.
Another 40 kg or so are made from renewable raw materials. The process of environmentally compatible development with specific targets is firmly embedded in the overall development process. Environmental aspects are already taken into account in the conceptual phase.
That being said, below are the full list of features that come with the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class S580e:
Transmission & Technology
- 3.0L 6-Cylinder petrol engine
- Airmatic Air Suspension
- Digital Light
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus
- 19-inch multi-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels
- Panoramic sliding sunroof
- Runflat tyres
- Power closing
- Remote boot lid closing
- Nappa Leather Upholstery
- Anthracite open-pore poplar wood trim
- Centre console in a black crystal-look finish
- Multifunction steering wheel in nappa leather
- KEYLESS-GO with seamless door handles
- HANDS-FREE ACCESS
- Chauffeur package
- Sun Protection package
- AIR-BALANCE package
- Rear Seat Comfort package
- Memory package
- Driver’s seat, electrically adjustable with memory function
- Heated front seats
- Seat heating Plus for outer rear seats
- Rear Seat Memory package
- Electrically-adjustable rear seats including memory function
- Climatised rear seats
- Multicontour rear seats
- Executive seat
- EASY ADJUST luxury head restraints for driver and front passenger
- Neck and shoulder heating in the rear
- Calf massage in the rear
- Seat on front passenger side electrically adjustable from the rear
- Belt feeders in the rear
- THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control
- THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control in the rear
- Adaptive rear compartment lighting
- Active ambient lighting
- Ambient lighting with projection of brand logo
- Ambient lighting
- Illuminated door sill panels with “Mercedes-Benz” lettering
- Interior mirror and driver’s exterior mirror automatically dimming
- Electric sunblinds in rear doors, left and right
- Electric sunblind for rear window
- Double sunblind
- Designer belt buckles in front and rear
- Load Compartment package
- USB package Plus
- Rear belt status indication in the instrument display
- Velour floor mats
- 4-way lumbar support
- Independent boot locking
- Through-loading feature
- 12v socket in Iuggage compartment
- Driving Assistance package
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC
- Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
- Active Steering Assist
- PRE-SAFE impulse side
- Parking Package with 360° camera
- Sidebags in rear
- Rear airbag
- Automatic front passenger airbag deactivation
- Mercedes-Benz emergency call system
- URBAN GUARD vehicle protection
- Anti-theft alarm system with preinstallation for collision detection
- Break-in resistant heat- and noise-insulated laminated safety glass all round
- Interior monitoring system
- Pedestrian protection
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
Multimedia and infotainment
- MBUX multimedia system
- 3D driver display
- OLED central display
- Burmester® 3D surround sound system
- MBUX Navigation Premium
- MBUX augmented reality for navigation
- MBUX rear tablet
- MBUX High-End Rear Seat Entertainment System
- 2 wireless head sets
- MB Connect MBUX entertainment
- MBUX Interior Assistant
- Smartphone integration
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
- Sound personalisation
- Fingerprint scanner
- Wireless charging system for mobile devices in the front
- Wireless charging system for mobile devices in the rear
- Communications module (LTE) for the use of Mercedes me connect
- Hard-disc navigation
- Remote Services Plus