A total of 16 finalists from both bus and truck category competed in the toughest practical finals yet which saw Saiful Nizam Abd Aziz representing Bank Simpanan Nasional Malaysia and Abdul Aziz Amir representing Shaziman Transport Sdn Bhd, Malaysia, being crowned Scania Driver Competitions 2014/2015 Malaysia-Singapore (SDC) Champions.
“The purpose of the competition is to recognise as well as elevate the skills of the drivers in the aspects of safety, fuel economy and environmentally-friendly driving,” said Marie Sjödin Enström, Managing Director of Scania Southeast Asia, Scania Malaysia and Scania Singapore. “After all, the driver is the single most important asset for all transport operators.”
The bus and truck champions each took home RM10,000 in cash, a championship trophy and an achievement certificate. Their companies were also awarded with RM5,000 worth of Scania service vouchers. To win it, they had to go through challenges that consisted of fuel economy driving test, defensive driving test, “Knock-the-Cone-and-Head” precision test and “Boardwalk” obstacle test.
Returning once again as the Main Sponsor was Michelin Malaysia, which noted the growing awareness, popularity and effectiveness of the SDC among the commercial vehicle driving fraternity in Malaysia and Singapore.
“The Scania Driver Competitions 2014/2015 is a prestigious platform for Michelin to demonstrate the capabilities of our tyres in terms of safety, comfort and longevity on top of fuel efficiency which contribute to energy-efficient transportation and reduce carbon emissions,” said the Managing Director of Michelin Malaysia, Chandan Thakur.
The finalists were shortlisted from a total of 1,005 participants during the initial theory submission stage. Coming from Malaysia and Singapore – an almost 50% increase in participation from the previous year – the participants had to go through subjective and objective questions covering their knowledge on local transportation laws and regulations, fuel-efficient and safe-driving techniques, occupational hazards and health practices, and reactions to emergency procedures.
The shortlisted finalists were:
1) Kamarul Anuar Ropiae – MISC Bhd, Malaysia
2) M.Govintha Raj – Trinity Transport Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
3) Ahmad Othman – Syarikat Logistik Petikemas Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
4) Abdul Aziz Amir – Shaziman Transport Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
5) Putera B Jaya – B.S.S.K Transport & Services Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
6) Lim Leet Heng – Toll Logistics, Singapore
7) Yap Foo Yong – Toll Logistics, Singapore
8) Amairrudin Ali – Leighton Asia, Singapore
1) Shahmunir Nordzahir – individual representation, Malaysia
2) Ramli Ab Rashid – Konsortium E-Mutiara Berhad, Malaysia
3) Mohamad Farli Mohd Amin – Sani United Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
4) Saiful Nizam Abd Aziz – Bank Simpanan Nasional, Malaysia
5) Mohd Helmi Ramli – Cosmic Angle Travel & Tours Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
6) Ab Rahman Awang – Konsortium E-Mutiara Berhad, Malaysia
7) Ghazali Shafie – Rapid Penang Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
8) Mohd Ridzuan Abdul Rahman – individual representation, Malaysia
Since the inception in 2003, Scania Driver Competitions continued to grow in stature around the world with over 50 countries and over 200,000 drivers participating today.
“The Scania Driver Competition celebrates its 10th anniversary this year and Scania Malaysia and Scania Singapore are very pleased that we have successfully collaborated for the fourth time with JKJR, MIROS and the Embassy of Sweden to promote safety for all road users,” said Marie.