Volvo launches the all-new Electric Hybrid Bus
Volvo Buses is taking the next step in electrification with the launch of the Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid. Its plug-in technology reduces fuel consumption and carbon dioxide by up to 75%, compared to a conventional diesel bus. Total energy consumption is reduced by 60%.
“I am very proud to launch this ground-breaking bus system. Electric-hybrid buses and full-electric buses are tomorrow’s solution for urban public transport. They will allow us to reduce energy consumption, air pollution, climate impact and noise, which are some of the biggest challenges facing large cities worldwide,” said Håkan Agnevall, President Volvo Bus Corporation.
Noise is a growing problem in many cities. The noise level near to a Volvo Electric Hybrid is in the range of normal conversation level. The Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid runs in electric mode on average 70% of the route, silent and emission-free.
The Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid offers great flexibility in operation; it can run as an electric bus in selected areas, but performs as a hybrid on any route. Charging at end stations takes 6 minutes. The Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid shares the technology of the well-proven Volvo 7900 Hybrid, securing high uptime and availability.
A number of European cities are showing a keen interest in Volvo’s Electric Hybrids. Hamburg, Luxembourg and Stockholm will implement the new bus system in 2014 and 2015. Series production is scheduled to start in early 2016.
Three Volvo Electric Hybrids have run in a field test in Gothenburg over the past year, a test that has verified the reduction in energy consumption and emissions.
As of this autumn and for two years ahead, eight Volvo Electric Hybrids will be put into regular operation in central Stockholm. This is part of ZeEUS, an EU project being conducted in six European countries.
Facts Volvo’s Electric Hybrid bus
- The bus is equipped with an electric motor that is powered by lithium batteries. It also has a small diesel engine
- The bus is charged quickly at charging stations via an overhead power connection. Recharging takes appr.6 minutes at end stations.
- The bus can be driven about seven kilometres on electricity alone, covering the distance silently and entirely without exhaust emissions.
- Enables indoor bus stops
- 75% fuel saving
- 60% energy reduction
- 75% CO2 reduction
- Length: 12 m
- Height: 3280 mm
- Width: 2550 mm
- Passenger capacity: 95
- No. of seats, max: 32+1 (folded)
- Electrical motor: Volvo I-SAM, output: 150 kW, torque, max (Nm) 1200
- Gearbox: Volvo I-Shift
- Lithium-ion battery: voltage 600 V, capacity, total: 19 kWh