Priced between RM108,800 and RM118,800, the Chery Omoda 5 is going to be a strong contender in the segment.
After much anticipation, Chery officially returned to Malaysia yesterday with two new SUV models, namely the Tiggo 8 Pro and the model we’re looking at here – the Chery Omoda 5.
Here to take on models like the Proton X50, Honda HR-V, and the Toyota Corolla Cross, the Chery Omoda 5 which will be assembled locally, will be offered in two variants with prices as mentioned below:
- Chery Omoda 5 C – RM108,800
- Chery Omoda 5 H – RM118,800
Both variants are powered by the same 1.5-litre turbo engine producing 156 hp and 230 Nm of torque, and paired with the engine is a CVT with nine virtual ratios. While power is sent exclusively to the front wheels, the driver can choose between two driving modes, namely Eco and Sport.
While the front suspension setup comprises a MacPherson Independent Suspension, we have a Twist Beam Independent Suspension at the rear. The braking system includes an electronic parking brake with Auto Hold, ventilated discs at front, as well as disc brakes at the rear. Both variants are fitted with 18-inch wheels as well.
In the cabin, the Omoda 5 C variant gets Faux leather and Fabric combination seats and a six-speaker audio system while the Omoda 5 H variant gets full Faux Leather upholstery, and a more premium Sony audio system with eight speakers.
That being said, here’s the list of standard features that are found in both variants:
- 10.25-inch touch screen display infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Front Armrest with Cooling Storage
- 64-colour ambient lighting system
- LED headlamps with LED DRLs
- Remote Window Operation, Engine Start, Cooling Activation
- Two USB ports, one USB Type-C port, a Power Outlet in the boot
- Dual zone air A/C control
- Rear view camera
- Keyless Entry
- Wireless Charger
- Intelligent Voice Assistant
- Acoustic Glass
- Auto Dimming rear mirror
- Door mirror heating
Where safety is concerned, both variants come standard with 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, BA, Brake Override System, ESP, Traction Control, Hill-Start Assist, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, and Hill Descent Control, while the list of driver assistance features comprises Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Detection, Emergency Lane Keeping, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow, Front Collision Warning, Autonomous Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Prevention, Integrated Cruise Assist, and Traffic Jam Assist.
In addition to all of the above, a few features are exclusive only to the H variant, such as:
- 6-way power adjustment for driver’s seat
- Front row ventilated seats
- Headlight and taillight with special effects
- Welcome Home Light
- Hands-Free Power Tailgate
- Powered Sunroof
- Sequential LED turn signals
- Speed Limit Assist
- Traffic Signs Recognition
- Intelligent Speed Adaptation
- 360-degree Panoramic Camera
Available in seven colour options, the Chery Omoda 5 comes with a 7-year/150,000-kilometer vehicle warranty and a 10-year/million-kilometer engine warranty for the first 3,000 customers. Those who buy the Omoda 5 later on can have the same warranty package for RM2,000.
The company also announced that an EV version of the Omoda 5 will be coming in 2024, along with a PHEV version of the Tiggo 8 Pro.