Aston Martin Recreates DB5 from Goldfinger, Complete with all the Gadgets
Aston Martin has just successfully recreated the legendary DB5 we saw in the 1964 James Bond movie, Goldfinger.
Known as the Aston Martin DB5 Goldfinger Continuation program, 25 units of the gadget-laden DB5 identical to the one in the movie will be created under the initiative.
Created in association with Bond filmmaker EON Productions, and featuring a broad suite of working gadgets first seen in the film, the Aston Martin DB5 Goldfinger Continuation cars include an array of functioning devices created by Bond film special effects supervisor Chris Corbould.
The gadgets include:
- Rear smoke screen delivery system
- Rear simulated oil slick delivery system
- Revolving number plates front and rear (triple plates)
- Simulated twin front machine guns
- Bullet resistant rear shield
- Battering rams front and rear
- Simulated tyre slasher
- Removable passenger seat roof panel (optional equipment)
- Simulated radar screen tracker map
- Telephone in driver’s door
- Gear knob actuator button
- Armrest and centre console-mounted switchgear
- Under-seat hidden weapons/storage tray
- Remote control for gadget activation
All the Goldfinger edition cars are being built to one exterior colour specification – Silver Birch paint – just like the original.
The cars feature original DB5 styled aluminium exterior body panels cloaking an authentic DB5 mild steel chassis structure.
Under the bonnet there’s a 4.0-litre naturally aspirated inline six-cylinder engine with a six-plug head, three SU carburettors and oil cooler, that’s capable of generating in the order of 290 bhp.
This is mated to a five-speed ZF manual transmission in the rear-wheel drive DB5, which also features a mechanical limited slip differential.
Fewer than 900 saloon examples were built between 1963 and 1965, with by far the most famous of the original owners being the world’s best-known secret agent – James Bond – who first drove the car that is today inextricably linked with him in the 1964 film, Goldfinger.
That being said, the first deliveries of the DB5 Goldfinger Continuation to customers have commenced and will continue through the second half of 2020.
7 total views, 2 views today